By
looking back on our class discussions, I realize that superheroes
always rise to the occasion. Whether they are created during the
occasion or if they have already been around. For example, Captain
America is a superhero that was created during the occasion. He was
created to defend America during the Second World War, but Superman
always just happens to be near when an event escalates. This concept
has caused to think about my life and how I can deal with certain
situations. Although I was not created for a certain occasion, they
happen all of the time. I need to evaluate the situation and act
accordingly instead of ignoring it, like humans sometimes do. Doing
what is moral is not always the easy thing to do. A lot of people
are scared of what others might think. I personally just try to do
what I think is right in every situation, although many may not
agree. Today's society revolves around the opinion people have on
others. This does not make it easy to do the right thing all the
time. For instance, a kid at school is being bullied by the same
group of kids every day. Do you stop it? What if the bullies make
you their new target? This can be hard. The superhero would of
course stop the bully, but every superhero is laced with courage.
After our conversations, I believe that picking the most correct
option is going to be a continuous struggle throughout our lives.
Superheroes
often value that they have two identities. This creates a balance
between the superhero and their personal life. Since superheroes are
not the most popular amongst the criminals or villains, another
identity also them to be safe when they are not fighting crime. This
identity gives them a break from the cat and mouse chase. I believe
that every person has a secret identity even if they have not tried
to establish one. Each person has a list of secrets that no one else
knows. As a college student, I find myself in many situations that I
am talking in class or with professors. This is a lot more
professional than my every day life. Being in these situations
causes me to have a filter, depending on the professor. Everyone
acts differently according to what situations they are put in. I am
included in this. When I go to an interview, I put on a “costume.”
When I am being my complete and total self, I am usually around my
friends or my parents. Some of the people I know can not even be
themselves around their parents. I hear a lot of people saying that
their parents don't know they drink, they aren't allowed to cuss in
their house, or smoke. My parents have always allowed us to be
ourselves and to say what we want. I was raised by parents who
believe that strict parents often have the worst kids because they
are more likely to break the rules. In a professional situation, I
try to be myself but I watch what I say. I try to use more
professional language that I would not normally use in an everyday
setting.
To
em, superheroes teach us that you can turn the identities on and off
as you please. Superheroes are acting completely like themselves
when they are fighting crime and using their super powers. When they
are the everyday person, they are hiding a lot of things. This sends
the message that being your complete self is better than hiding all
of the things that has happened to you in life.
I love the fact that you related this reflection not only back to your personal life, but by commenting on the fact that everyone has to use a "costume" or a "mask", you effectively made this relatable to everyone, not just the people who know you personally.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said about balance, whether or not that is psychologically healthy, who knows? That makes me think of Spider-Man. To me his two identities are quite different. The hero is snarky and sarcastic, while Peter is shy and seemingly weak. It's hard not wish that he could adapt both into one, then he'd probably get whatever he wanted. However, that's where the sacrificing has to happen or else things would go badly for people around him and he wouldn't be using his powers responsibly.
ReplyDeleteYour statement, "I believe that picking the most correct option is going to be a continuous struggle throughout our lives" is very apt. Through a number of different means (discussions, reflection, life lessons) we learn about different ways to approach what is right and wrong, and then must struggle with the decision. It may never be easy but we come to a place where we can do the best at that particular moment.
ReplyDeleteI know I might have picked the most random line from this post to comment on, but when you said "Although I was not created for a certain occasion..." do you mean to compare it to the likes of Captain America or other super heroes that were born in the war times? I guess what I'm really trying to ask is do you feel that, as regular people, we have a purpose in life? a reason for being?
ReplyDeleteGreat post!