Ahh...a blog that
can be about anything....this will be fun! First I'd like to say
that I have a post on here called “Superhero Related Things.” I
update it every once in a while with memes and various things I find
on pinterest so you might want to check that out!
Okay so back to the
actual assignment. For this particular reflection, I would like to
talk about the Silver Age. We did a reading in class by Grant
Morrison and he explained the in's and out's of superheroes during
this age. I think that this section was one of the most interesting
that we have read so far. This particular made superheroes seem very
real. The topics that were introduced in this era are very raw.
Since Dr. Fredric Wertham analyzed every move that superheroes made,
it made the comics seem more of a taboo. Sexuality and drugs were
now engrained in these stories. I think this adds depth to the
characters and creates a more interesting adventure. Now, the fact
that parents spoke about this does not surprise me. What does
surprise me is that the writers even thought of these ideas. The
fifties are very stereotypically clean-cut and innocent. Just think
of Leave It to Beaver. That's the typical family back then. Of
course the code authority comes in and shuts down all the fun. I
like that some writers still produced their comics without the seal.
Nothing like sticking it to the man.
As the comics
with drugs and sexuality hit the stand during this period, writers
were also developing superhero families. It seems as though the
writers were trying to balance the good and the bad. During this era
people in Superman's life began to have there own comics. Lois Lane
and the Pal Jimmy Olsen were establish comic stars at this time. The
kicker with Jimmy is that he is a cross-dresser. This, again,
creates a little more edge to the story. At this time cross-dressing
was probably thought to be a strange action. Writer break down those
stereotypes with Jimmy because he cross-dresses in order to perform
good. This to me is an awesome way to teach kids that something that
maybe “strange” is actually good.
I think that it is
ironic that writers were involving drugs in their stories but also
introduced families in the same era. The writers tried to make the
superheroes easier to relate to by giving them families and a home
life. In my opinion, comics really flourished in this time. They
had secret identities, and they came across many different types of
problems. This made the comics far better than the early ones. A
more developed story turns out to be a more interesting one.
I like that you liked that in the fifties, comics were becoming more edgy and that stereotypes were being recognized. I also think it was cool that writers were taking things that might be "weird" and showing kids that these weird circumstances were being linked to good things. I am a firm believer in people making their own choices in life about their sexuality, etc and I am happy that some writers took a risk by addressing these "odd" cases in their story lines.
ReplyDeleteBesides Jimmy the cross dresser, superheroes were becoming more relate-able through the introduction of the families and what not. Supporting roles soon became their own comics allowing more different varieties of people, young and old to really connect with the comics.
ReplyDeleteKeep in mind that the cross-dressing Jimmy Olson episodes were few and far between and weren't necessarily advocating or supporting non-normative sexualities. They were, instead, exploring those boundaries in a way that was acceptable during the age. It is possible to read them in ways which question the normative forces at work during the period, but you should't mistake them for some sort of nod in support of non-normative behaviors/identities.
ReplyDelete