Chopra offers
different exercises at the end of his book in order to relax your
mind. While doing the first activity, I became more aware of every
part of my body and how it moves when I breathe. I'm currently in an
advanced acting class that deals with voice and movement. In this
class we do a lot of focusing on the natural way our body feels when
breathing. We talk about allowing the breath to come from deep in
your belly and to release it out the top of your head. While sitting
and doing this exercise, my mind wandered to the concepts that we
have covered in my acting class. This exercise made me feel relaxed
and more in tune with what was going on around me. I believe that I
will try to do this on a regular basis just in order to relax.
The second exercise
made me feel similar things that the first one did, but when
imagining the different things, I felt some gaps. It was like I do
not pay attention to the things I was trying to imagine as much as I
should have. I tried to imagine touching tree bark. Sure I remember
that it I supposed to be rough, but I can't remember the last time I
touched a tree. Nor the last time I had my hand on a tree and paid
attention to what I was feeling. Imagining different colors was a
lot easier that the textures. Again, I believe I will begin to do
this because of the benefits.
Most of the
relationship in my life are in the pleasure category. I try to
surround myself with people who I enjoy, and who will be there for me
if I need them. The utility relationships that I have in my life are
mostly with bosses or professors. With professors, I need them in
order to gain knowledge and graduate with my degree. In return they
need me, or the rest of their students, in order to have a career.
This benefits them because they receive money to support their
family. I benefit because I will have a degree and hopefully can
obtain a better career than those who chose not to go to college.
The only
relationship that I believe that has the potential to become a
relationship of virtue is the one I have with Max. Although he is my
boyfriend, and it is considered a romantic relationship, I believe
that we both care about one another enough to become a relationship
of virtue. In order for this to happen, we would have to put more
focus toward each other. With school and work, this is not
completely possible. We would have to cut out a lot of the stresses
in life in order to focus solely on each other.
I like how you compared the first activity to your acting class. I thought that was amazing how you found the association into your life. I also said that most of my friendships were of pleasure but I never thought of a relationship with teachers as utility, but you backed up you statement. Good job.
ReplyDeleteChopra might point out that just by noticing that you don't remember the last time you touched a tree you might become more aware and feel more connected to your world around you going forward. I bet that the next time you are outside near a tree, you will reach out and touch it, and notice how it feels...
ReplyDeleteI can't remember the last time I reached out and touched a tree either. It's sad how sometimes we get so busy and caught up with what's going on in our lives that we forget to stop and smell the roses ya know? I don't know if these exercises have anything to do with trying to get us to appreciate life more but when I'm relaxing and picturing an ocean, blossoming flowers, and my family I feel a peace and it kind of reminds me that I need to stop what I'm doing for a sec and appreciate life more.
ReplyDelete