Saturday, March 30, 2013

Reflection #9


 If I were going to be a real life superhero, I would probably make my costume out of every day material. I would buy fleece and my a cape out of it. My cape would be two pieces of material tied together on all the ends, kind of like the household throw blankets. I would wear jeans and a shirt with my superhero logo. It would be a red t-shirt with two black C's, surrounded by a tornado. The two C's stand for Captain Compton. The tornado would be part of my symbol, because tornadoes are one of the scariest disasters that hit the Midwest. I also draw some inspiration from Red Tornado. My Hometown is named Compton. It has a population of 350. Since the population is so small, not a lot of crime arises in town. There are two main annoyances in the town of Compton, loose dogs, and kids who vandalize the park in town. One of the items I would carry would be a bag of treats. This would lure the dogs to me. I would also carry a leash so I could take the dog back to it's owner, or hold him until the owner is located. This is something my family has done in the past. Being a dog person, I am not afraid of them, as some people are. Catching them and returning them to their owner would relieve the people who are scared, and the owners who had been missing their dog. In order to help stop vandalism, I will try to catch the teenagers who are tagging the park, and put their skills to work. I will carry multiple cans of spray paint. I will ask the vandals to put their skills into something productive, such as painting murals, or repainting the picnic tables in the park. This will help the community become visually appealing!
The heroes I most identify with is the New York Initiative. I believe that these people are doing some extraordinary things! I would like to instill a group like them in Monmouth. It would be very helpful to the student body. Having something like this in Monmouth would be extremely helpful. Vandalism in the parking lots on campus seems to be a common occurrence this year. If there was a group of people patrolling each parking lot, vandalism would be likely to go down. It would also provide a witness of the vandalism, since there are not any cameras placed in our lots. I believe this would cause a lot of people relief because they would be able to seek justice. When my tires were slashed, I was told tough luck by the administration, although I had a pretty good idea of who did it. Having a group like this would be wonderful. This group could also patrol the routes to and from the bar. I know students have been attacked on their way back to campus before, so some do not feel safe walking that late at night. The New York Initiative would be there for people in need, such as students. This should inspire us to want to help out the student body.

4 comments:

  1. It's nice that you want to help to owners with lost dogs but what if the dog is aggressive. What is your plan to deal with they types of dog? Also what would you do if the kids in the park continue to vandalize the park. Do you fight them or call the cops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aggressive dogs are usually acting that way because they are scared. Obviously every situation is different. I do understand that not every dog will cooperate with me. And you call the cops. Since we don't have any actual super powers including law enforcement seems like the best idea.

      Delete
  2. Carrying a leash as an addition to your costume is a great idea. I also think towns like monmouth should have a Initiative. Galesburg and Macomb especially with the increase crime as of late. P.s. your background is scary.. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you incorporated soemthing you already do to your real life superhero persona. It shows that you know what you are good at and what you know what to do. Good for you. I don't handle dogs very well unless I know the owner so that would be difficult for me, but this relates to your hometown so it's a good mission.

    ReplyDelete