Friday, April 5, 2013

Reflection #10


For this particular assignment, I would like to reflect upon watching Unbreakable, and the class discussion we had on Friday, April 5th. I thought that the movie was good, but I had a hard time getting into it. There was a lot of back story given. Unlike any other superhero movie we have viewed, the back story was not flashy at all. It was rather dull. The most that intrigued me out of the whole movie was the last thirty minutes. I loved seeing how all of the back story was put together. The fact that Elijah was actually the villain did not throw me off whatsoever. I distinctly remember talking about the villain is normally the complete opposite of the hero. Elijah states this in the movie, and that was my first clue.
I really enjoyed the discussion we had about the movie in class on Friday. As a theater person, casting is very important! The right person must be picked for the role. I was disappointed when the movie had Bruce Willis, but no action. This to me is a Bruce Willis stereotype, ass-kicker. Dr. Harrison then asked us the question of if this casting choice was on purpose. This to me was interesting. Not only does this movie give the audience a different side of Bruce Willis, but it also gives the audience a direct connection with the film. The fact that this is not a movie based on action, it can still give the audience something, which, in this case, was unfulfilled potential, as Dr. Harrison pointed out. My disappointment was purposefully just like the casting. It allowed me to feel what David Dunne was feeling. This is a very interesting concept, and brilliant at that. I'm glad my eyes were opened to this type of concept because it is something that I could use in the theater at any time. 

1 comment:

  1. I always find if cool when I connect to something in this class that I never thought I could. Like how you can connect to a movie and casting because you like theater.

    ReplyDelete